Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan
Summer 2012

Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan
Easter 2011

Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan

Friday, November 28, 2008

Ryan's first injury


A few weeks back Ryan and I were at his music and sign language class. The studio has hardwood floors. Normally this is not a problem, but Ryan was very tired on this particular day. Class had ended and we stayed after to socialize. Ryan was crawling around like he normally does. I'm not quite sure exactly how it happened, but he fell face first onto the floor. Instantly I knew this was not a normal spill where he would recover within seconds. He did that heart wrenching cry with the ten seconds of silence before the next cry comes out. I quickly grabbed him and held him while he cried, assuming he had hit his head and there would be a bruise. When I was able to take a look at him and assess the damage, I saw it...blood! It is a weird thing when you see blood on your baby the first time. I was trying very hard to not pass out or cry myself. He had hit his two top front teeth on the floor and they were bleeding. He was not badly injured, but in the moment, it was horrible. The studio manager got an ice pack for him and by the time it arrived, Ryan had recovered. I had not recovered, but more importantly, he had. I know this is only the first of many injuries to come. I'm going to have to toughen up a bit, but it is really hard when this happens to your little one. This picture shows the little bruise he got on his nose in addition to two very sore top teeth.

No comments: