Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan
Summer 2012

Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan
Easter 2011

Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan

Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's Not Polite to Point!

I started this new game with Ryan. About a week or so ago, after he was done eating dinner I was making up songs and decided to try something new. (He was getting bored with my singing and my made up songs, I can't blame him!) I pointed at him and taught him to touch my pointer finger with his pointer finger ET style. Once he would touch my finger, I would tickle him and he would laugh. I thought it was cute and now he will randomly point when we are playing or reading. Again and again, I respond the same, my finger meets his, ET style, and then I tickle him and we both laugh. He would "perform" for daddy, Lucy and even for some friends of ours. The more I started thinking about what I had taught him, the more I thought, "Maybe this was not the best idea." Today we were in the backyard urging Lucy to do her business when a plane took off. Ryan pointed at the airplane. I then told him, "Airplane," so he would know what it was. He then began pointing at other things; tree, bird, Lucy. I could tell he was enjoying this new game because each time he would point, I would tell him the name of the thing he was pointing at, he would smile and then point to something else. I thought maybe this whole pointing game is not so bad after all, until... We were in music and sign class today when Ryan stared pointing. Not so cute this time when he pointed to one boy's eye and actually poked it, and did the same thing to another boy's head. How do you explain to an 11 month old when we use our pointer and when we don't. I, of course, apologized (no damage was done to either boy, no tears, marks, etc.) and tried to tell Ryan to use nice hands when touching friends on the head. I'm sure he does not understand, but soon enough he will. I guess I should have listened to my mom when she taught me "It is not polite to point!" I'll take that a step further and add,"It's not polite to teach your son to point." OOPS!! One of my many parenting errors!

No comments: