Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan
Summer 2012

Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan
Easter 2011

Ryan and Regan

Ryan and Regan

Friday, April 30, 2010

It's Been Awhile, But We're Still Here


I haven't gotten around to updating lately. Things have been a bit crazy around here. We recently moved and with Ryan's new schedule of school two days a week, art, music, swimming and a day of field trips, things have been very busy.

Ryan is days shy of 27 months old. Our sweet boy is growing so quickly and talking so much. His personality has really developed, and he has been asserting his independence lately. Every time I try to help him put shoes on, or help him get undressed he will tell me, "No Mommy, Ryan do it." He loves playing with us still, but more and more these days he enjoys playing cars and reading alone. It is pretty funny to walk in his room and see him in my big rocking chair reading. He always says,"Ryan read books." On Monday, at school another little girl had her first day. She was having a tough time and her mom stayed to observe/help out. After class the teacher told me that another mom wanted to talk to me. Immediately, I was very nervous, assuming the worst. She said," I just had to meet you. Your son was so sweet to my daughter today. He helped her out because she was having a hard time." I was relieved that it was good news, but then felt bad assuming it was bad news to begin with. I should know better, my son is truly a kind soul. Anytime he sees another child crying he is very concerned and will say, "Mommy, the baby sad."

Lately I struggle with the feeling that Ryan is a bit overscheduled and really try to make time for the two of us to spend quality time together outside of all of his classes. I think one day I'm going to wake up and he will be 10 years old in school all day long, and I'll ask myself why I had such a crazy schedule for him instead of just enjoying our time together. Developmentally, however, I feel as though the classes have been a huge factor in helping him to become such a smart little guy. It amazes me how quickly he picks up things. We are working on counting to twenty. He has 1- 10 down and after that is gets a little jumbled. He can count to 10 in Spanish and he knows how to spell his name. He can name every member of our family immediate and extended. He also can now point to objects and count how many there are. For instance, we were reading a book about fish, and there were 8 fish on the page. I asked Ryan to count all of the fish and tell me how many were there. He pointed and counted each one and was able to tell me there were 8. Now he wants to count everything!

Most of all I am enjoying the moments that are boring for others to read about in a blog, but that I want to remember forever. The times where I say and do silly things, and he just laughs uncontrollably. There is something so sweet and funny about Ryan laughing hysterically when I do funny things. I know someday he will roll his eyes and be very embarrassed by me, but now he thinks I am the funniest person in the world and that is a very special feeling. I also want to remember the times when he will just come up and give me a big hug and a kiss for no reason. Those are the best moments, so spontaneous that they will never be captured by a camera or video camera.

Hopefully, now that we are a bit more settled I will be better about posting. After all, this is my baby book and if it is not written here, I will never remember that it happened. Must be the new brain that comes with having kids!

No comments: